IFSEC Bangladesh Conference – Professional Security for an Insecure World
Security is a big challenge for any organisation – big or small. By adopting technologies that ensure security of assets and people and also help organisations maintain a reasonable level of deterrence against thefts, we can ensure economic progress and prosperity. This is an evolving area and more and more tech solutions are released each day. However, choosing the right security solution is based on the geographical location of a town, potential sources of security threats, the ease and accessibility of security solutions, and the skill level of security forces.
For instance, apart from their use in surveillance, smart cameras monitor traffic and can automatically divert traffic in case of congestion. We can look at many such examples where technology can help improve security and ease day-to-day challenges faced by residents.
Another key area of interest is Artificial Intelligence, which is expected to grow 18% over the next few years to enable this market reach $10.3 billion by 2030. The emergence of new technologies such as autonomous trucks and industry-wide standards such as adaptive cruise control, blind spot alert, and advanced driver assistance systems have the potential to disrupt the way transportation of goods has been handled in our services. Also, with connected devices all around us and with the need to make security systems more intelligent in order to ease challenges in managing them, IoT has been in greater focus than ever before.
In order to dwell upon such security challenges and enlighten key stakeholders on the modern-day threats to security, IFSEC Bangladesh shall conduct a one-day conference in Dhaka. Some of the topics to be discussed include:
How Artificial Intelligence is Used to Bolster Security Systems
- The world is increasingly moving towards an era of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in security and surveillance systems. Deep Learning takes it a step further with by enabling even more powerful analytics to recognise suspicious activity without much human supervision.
- The benefits of Deep learning for face recognition and image classification make it extremely valuable in the field of security as facial recognition allows for easy identification of suspects, vehicle detection, and also behaviour analysis. So, rather than remaining reactive the security and surveillance systems are evolving to become more proactive in nature.
- Now with fewer microprocessor chips being able to deliver the computing power required to simulate a neural network, and also with the H.265+ codec dramatically reducing transmission bandwidth, and data storage requirements, there’s no loss of quality even though the data being shared and stored is exponentially higher.
The Threat of Cyber Security Attacks on Video Surveillance Systems
- As ICT gets tightly embedded into security and surveillance systems, more and more cyber attacks are targeted towards hacking into such systems and wreak havoc.
- The architecture around IoT, Artificial Intelligence and Data Analytics is yet to mature in security systems and it is this very loophole that cyber criminals are trying to exploit.
- In most cases the end user is not even aware of the security chasms that exist as part of a security solution and therefore the role of security experts in helping choose the right solution becomes paramount.
- The world is going to be increasingly connected in terms of sharing of information and any security system that does not use cyber security best practices is likely to fall victim to the nefarious designs of cyber criminals.
The Role of Visual Analytics in Ensuring Safe Cities
- When we visualise safe and smart cities, the role played by visual analytics as a key component of data analytics can never be emphasised more. The Visual Analytics Market Global Forecast to 2022 report states that the Visual Analytics market is expected to grow to USD 6.5 billion at a CAGR of 20% by 2022. The situation can’t be any different in smart cities in India.
- A key reason for the growth of the Visual or Video Analytics as a category is the need to use technology to keep an eye over the safety and security of places where human presence can’t be ensured at all times.
- The major factors driving the visual analytics market are the rapid growth in volume and variety of business data, the growing need for data-driven decision making, and increased demand for advanced analytics solutions.
- The lowering of costs and increased resolution of imaging technology provides us the opportunity to retrieve usable quality video footage from CCTV cameras, as opposed to hazy and grainy images that had come to be associated with surveillance solutions.
Tech that Help Bolster the Security of a New-Age City
- By 2050, the world will have more than six billion people living in urban cities. Therefore, a lot of efforts needs to go into making these cities safe, convenient and energy-efficient for the people to lead meaningful lives.
- Choosing the right security solution is based on the geographical location of a town, potential sources of security threats, the ease and accessibility of security solutions, and the skill level of security forces.
- Similarly, smart cameras monitor traffic and can automatically divert traffic in case of congestion. We can look at many such examples where technology can help improve security and ease day-to-day challenges faced by residents.
The Integration of Cyber Security With Physical Security
- The security of information is one of the foremost security challenges faced by any organisation today. Hence, it’s imperative for any organisation to have a robust information security policy in place.
- At most times, the information theft occurs through a physical device, be it a hard disk, a flash drive and other such electronic gadgets. On other occasions it could also happen through unauthorised access to information and storage devices. The role of a security officer in checking this pilferage becomes extremely critical.
- Organisations today need to have a clear policy on alleviating all kinds of security threats, including cyber threats and CSOs need to keep a thorough watch on protection all kinds of assets, physical as well as virtual.
IoT: Challenges Faced During Implementation for Security Applications
- With connected devices all around us and the need to make security systems more intelligent in order to ease challenges in managing them, IoT has been in greater focus than ever before.
- One of the key challenges is to secure the IoT architecture both at design and execution time through proactive identification and protection from arbitrary attacks such as DoS and DDoS, and malicious software.
- Another key issue is the challenge to manage and maintain communication among heterogeneous objects and applications, environments and devices.
As a fast growing developing country, Bangladesh is gradually flourishing in its commerce and industry and at the same time, the number of workers is also increasing in industries and factories. Along with the development of Bangladesh’s economy and acceleration of construction activity, the demand for industrial safety and security and fire protection continuously increases every year. The safety and Security industry in Bangladesh is at a nascent stage and is poised for a strong growth, in the years ahead. The incidents of Rana Plaza disaster, Tazreen Fashions fire and Holy Artisan attack, have brought global attention to occupational safety and physical security in Bangladesh, which has resulted in a gradual change in the safety and security market.
Bangladeshi safety and security equipment and services market is primarily driven by the rapid urbanization and the ongoing globalization wherein, the need for robust and updated security technologies is increasing significantly. The Government of Bangladesh has declared 'Vision 2021' with a target to make Bangladesh as a middle income country. The flourishing economy and rapid growth of other sectors such as pharmaceuticals, hotels, hospitals, power, agriculture, leather, large infrastructure, ICT & telecom, ship breaking etc is also contributing to a gradual development of the market.